Sunday, April 21, 2013

Juana Briones


My daughter is in Fourth grade and had to work on a Biography project. The project consisted of making a poster board with facts of the person. Then, each student had to dress up as their chosen person and do a 45 second speech in first person. It was called a Live Museum. Very cool! 




The person my daughter had to do research on was Juana Briones. Here's a few facts about her:
Juana Briones

  • 1802-1889
  • Born near Santa Cruz mission in California
  • She became a pioneer settler near San Francisco
  • Businesswoman, Humanitarian, Landowner
  • Entrepreneur: home business selling milk and vegetables
  • Had 8 children and 5 adopted children
  • Curandera (herbal medicine traditions from Mexico)
  • She fought to keep all the land properties she owned

So being that Juana Briones was a Mexican-American Pioneer, I had to sew an apron for my daughter's costume. The pictures I found on Google about Juana Briones only showed her upper body. So I was only able to replicate the hairstyle. Found the perfect dress for my daughter's costume. It was a long sleeve blue lace dress. A few alterations were made. Here's what her costume looked like all put together:
Lynda as Juana Briones
And here's Juana Briones at the Live Museum:
Yes it was a hot day! But she was a trooper!
Family and friends were invited to experience the Live Museum. It was so much fun! My daughter did awesome! All the kids did a great job! What a neat thing to do to make History fun for all!

No comments: